Working with Segments
A Segment is a subset of contacts in a list. Segments help you target your message to a specific recipient group.
To use a segment, you need to perform the following steps:
- Create the segment.
- Add one or more conditions.
- Generate the segment.
Before You Begin
If you are not familiar with segments, you should read Segments Overview topic, which describes the concepts you must know before creating segments.
Use the Segments page to view, create, generate and edit segments for a list.
- On the navigation bar, click Email Marketing > Segments.
- Select the desired list from the List drop-down list. The segments for the selected list are displayed.
- On Segments page, select the desired list from the List drop-down list.
- Click .
- In the Segment Name field, type the name for the segment. The segment is created.
Next, you need to add conditionsSpecifywhich contacts are included in the segment.. After you specify conditions, you must generate the segment so that it can be used in the list.
To add a condition:
- On the Add Segment page, click Add condition.
- From the drop-down list that appears, select Attribute or Activity, and select the desired attribute or activity.
For information about condition types, see Segment logic.
- Optionally, follow steps 1 and 2 to create more conditions. You can combine attribute-based and activity-based conditions.
- If you created more than one condition, follow the steps below to set the logical operators for the conditions.
You can combine conditions into condition groups to evaluate several conditions together.
Setting the Logical Operator for Conditions
By default, AND is assigned to all conditions. To select OR:
- Click AND on the right side of the row.
- From the drop-down list that appears, select OR.
Creating a Condition Group
- Click Add Group. The condition group is created.
- Add the conditions you want to group.
Moving and Removing Conditions and Condition Groups
You can rearrange the order of conditions within a group, move conditions between groups, and move groups.
- To move a condition within a group, click the up or down arrow next to the condition name or drag the condition to the new location.
- To move a condition to another group, drag the condition to the new group.
- To move a condition group, click the change order up or down arrow as shown in the following illustration.
- To remove a condition, click on the right side of the row of the condition you want to remove.
- To remove a condition group, click remove group of the group you want to remove.
After you set the logic of a segment, you must generate the segment so that it can be used in the list. Depending on the amount of data, this can be a time-consuming task.
If you add contacts to a list after segment generation begins, you must update your segment by generating it again.
You can copy a segment to reuse its logic in a different segment.
On the Segments page, point at the name of the segment you want to copy and click Copy. The copy is created and opens on the Edit Segment page.
- On the Segments page, point at the name of the segment you want to edit and click Edit.
- Make your changes and click Save & Close.
- Generate the segment.
When you delete a segment, it cannot be restored.
1. On the Segments page, point at the name of the segment you want to delete and click Delete.
2. Click OK.
For more information, see Segment examples.